Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Super Bust

I'm so glad the little one can't see through the womb. He was spared from watching Sunday's ugly display of football by the New England Patriots. Yes, he may have still heard the screams when the Giants scored the go-ahead touchdown with :35 left in the game, but fortunately sounds to him are garbled, so he probably couldn't understand the stream of profanities.

Two days later, it was Mardi Gras - not exactly a fun one for me. Sure, I still wore my beads and ate an unnecessary amount of food, but I couldn't capture that Mardi Gras spirit I had experienced in years past. Maybe because the weather was cloudy outside. Or maybe because I don't know how to make jambalaya. But I think it was because every channel on TV (except Lifetime) was covering the parade honoring the new Super Bowl Champions, the New York bleepin' Giants.

I guess you could say I'm a little disappointed at how the game turned out. But don't feel sorry for me. Feel sorry for the little one. Once he enters the world, he's going to have to face two mind-blowing truths: the Patriots choked, and the Red Sox are defending World Champions. This is not the way things are supposed to go... the Pats under Tom Brady always won the Super Bowl, and the pre-2004 Red Sox always collapsed. Now, it's as if the universe has turned itself inside-out, and I'm afraid the little one is going to have a warped sense of reality. I just hope he can handle it.

In the meantime, I'm giving up the Patriots for Lent. Go Sox!

No comments: